Guidelines for translators
Translation is central to the goals of Kurodahan Press. We offer a number of opportunities for professional translators, including flat fee commissioned projects and royalty based publications.
We welcome proposals from translators or other rights holders of books relevant to our aims as a publisher. Please review the catalog section of this site to get an idea of the kind of material we are interested in. Feel free to write to us if you want more specific information about the books we want to see.
Please do not send us a manuscript directly. Send us a query by e-mail, including the following information:
- your name, address, and background;
- the title and a brief summary of the book;
- the publishing history of the book, if any;
- why you think this book would be relevant to our aims as a publisher;
- what market this book would appeal to;
- the current status of the translation -- in process or complete;
- and information on who owns the rights to this book.
We will contact you promptly on receipt of your query.
Sample contracts are available, but of course would be altered for each specific book. These are PDF files, and can be viewed onscreen or downloaded to your computer. You will require Acrobat Reader to open them.
- Contract to use your translation for a period of time
- Contract to purchase all rights to your translation
- Note on royalty payments and taxation
We have a number of works in various stages of planning and production, and are always interested in finding new and talented translators to help us. If this sounds like something you would be interested in, click here.
Please note that all translators will be required to translate at least one selection from our collection of translation trials, which is available as a PDF download from:
http://www.kurodahan.com/downloads/Trials.pdf (1.8MB file)
Translation guidelines are also available as a PDF download from:
http://www.kurodahan.com/downloads/XlateGuidelines.pdf (56k file)
Our English-language style guide is also available online.